launches a PLA based filament which offers extra toughness paired with less environmental impact. PolyTerra™ PLA is a 3D printing filament which has significantly reduced the amount of raw PLA required to create the filament. This has been achieved by compounding organic materials together with PLA which delivers a filament which offers greater toughness paired with a matte surface finish on 3D printed parts. Key Features of PolyTerra™ PLA:
- PolyTerra™ PLA is wound on a recycled cardboard spool with recycled labels and outer packaging. Polymaker has removed any unnecessary waste from the product by moving all information sheets online. To reduce the environmental impact that the spool has whilst also delivering a 3D printing material with less impact on the environment, Polymaker hope the unique features that PolyTerra™ PLA offers is a step in the right direction for a plastics company.
- The organic elements inside the filament have been carefully sourced and blended to help boost mechanical properties whilst also occurring naturally. This reduces the man-made processes to create the bioplastic and grants improved toughness and impact resistance to printed parts. By using naturally sourced compounds Polymaker has reduced the plastic content of the 3D printing material creating a more environmentally friendly filament. This has been achieved without negatively affecting the printing performance of PolyTerra™ PLA which is compatible with all extrusion-based 3D printers using PLA settings.
- The naturally occurring elements compounded into PolyTerra™ PLA provide a matte surface finish on 3D printed parts which is enhanced by the fourteen carefully selected colors available. Polymaker has introduced four new pastel colors which display an extra matte surface and can absorb light on printed parts hiding the layer lines in a smooth surface.
- PolyTerra™ PLA demonstrates easy support removal which can be removed without the use of tools allowing users to quickly clean up 3D printed parts, even with complex geometries. The support performs well touching build plate as well as model, which means single extrusion 3D printers can produce a vast array of shapes and details.
- Post processing PolyTerra™ PLA is simple and the surface can be sanded without the plastic rolling over into long beads or chewing up. Printed parts can be sanded quickly and due to the softer surface, power sanders can be used to quickly clean up and smooth large prints. The open pores on the exterior allow paints to hold a strong bond onto the surface and due to the inert nature of the compound, a wide range of paints can be applied.
- Polymaker has run a compostability test (ISO 14855-1) with a third-party laboratory. PolyTerra™ PLA has shown expedited compostability when compared to a PLA sample achieving 76.9% degradation after 45 days in test conditions (58°C ± 2°C/~50% Humidity).
- By choosing PolyTerra™ PLA, users plant one tree to offset the carbon created in the manufacturing and shipping of the spool. Polymaker has partnered with www.onetreeplanted.org to fulfill this pledge, planting one tree for every spool sold local to the point of purchase. Once the tree reaches maturity (~10 years) it can absorb 22kg of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere annually. With a potential lifespan of hundreds of years, each spool of PolyTerra™ PLA sold will help reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide.